Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics: Basic Overview
Tooth consists of two parts :-
1) Crown :- It is visible part of the tooth above the gum.
2) Root :- It is non visible part of the tooth that lies beneath the gum & surrounded by bone. Root comprises of channel called root canal which contains the pulp (nerves, blood vessels, and soft tissue). The pulp may be irreversibly damaged via bacterial infection associated with decay, deep restorations, fractures, trauma, or periodontal disease. In order to preserve a tooth it is necessary to remove the diseased pulp tissue with preserving root function. This procedure is known as Endodontic therapy/ Root Canal Therapy.
Endodontic Therapy/Root Canal Therapy involves removal of inflamed or infected pulp and root canals are carefully cleaned and disinfected, then filled and sealed with a rubber-like material called gutta-percha. Afterward, the tooth is restored with a crown or filling for protection and will continue to function like any other normal tooth.
“ ENDODONTISTS ARE YOUR SUPERHEROES WHO TRY TO SAVE YOUR NATURAL TEETH.”
Saving your natural teeth is the best option whenever possible. If you are experiencing any Pain/Sensitivity/Any other Dental Ailment; Endodontists are the best person to solve your issues.
- What is Endodontics?
It is a branch of dentistry concerned with etiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of conditions affecting tooth pulp, root and surrounding soft tissues.
- What is Conservative dentistry ?
Branch of dentistry which deals with restoration of defective part of tooth in a minimal invasive manner to aesthetically and functionally normal state. Defect can be due to abnormal development, dental caries, diseases or trauma .
- When do you need an Endodontist ? If you are experiencing following complains:
- Continuous dull aching / throbbing Pain.
- Sensitivity to hot / cold foods.
- Excruciating pain during chewing / mastication
- Noticeable discoloration/ darkening/cavity of tooth.
- Traumatic injury/crack/fractured tooth.
- Swelling / abscess related to tooth.
- What are the procedures an endodontist does ?
Nowadays, Endodontist believes on conservative approach, minimal invasive procedures and advanced techniques for :-
- Restorative procedures / Fillings of cavities.
- Aesthetic procedures.
- Root canal therapy.
- Inlay, Onlays & Endocrowns.
- Post and core.
- Non surgical and Surgical management of Periapical lesions.
Dental Talk consists of all dental departments and the dedicated dental specialists for different concern. Seek online dental consultancy from our Dentists
This wonderful and very well written article reminded me of
when I had big problems with teeth, cavities and pain, yellow and ugly teeth, then I
found a simple way to rebuild my teeth and gums and get rid of tooth decay.
(maybe it will help someone): https://bit.ly/2ZV061N
Thanks! Keep doing a great job!